2018-2019 PROVISIONAL MODEL ARAB LEAGUE AGENDA
PLEASE NOTE: Not all Models will have all Councils. Please look at your specific Conference Page or contact the Local Coordinator or the National Council Representative of your model to find out which Councils will be represented.
Joint Defense Council
- Analyzing previous attempts to establish a joint Arab military force to identify reasons for failure and create a framework for its establishment.
- Proposing methods of best practice for military response in dealing with civil unrest and protests.
- Developing League-wide frameworks to prevent unauthorized involvement within the internal conflicts of other member states.
- Evaluating external threats to cybersecurity including but not limited to digital espionage, malware threats, and computer safety within the League.
Council on Palestinian Affairs
- Devising strategies to plan for potential failure of peace negotiations.
- Developing arrangements for repairing and rebuilding damaged and destroyed infrastructure for both private and public buildings.
- Creating contingency plans to protect against the unjust imprisonment of Palestinians.
- Examining and finding ways to encourage a healthy entrepreneurial climate for Palestinian citizens.
Council on Political Affairs
- Assessing the deteriorating Arab unity amongst member states resulting from increased tension from divisive international politics and creating solutions to disunity.
- Formulating ways to increase societal inclusion and political involvement amongst individuals who may be susceptible to insurgent group recruitment.
- Identifying sources of external interference in Arab affairs and creating League-wide measures to improve regional independence and sovereignty from external actors.
- Developing strategies and standards for mediation to resolve conflicts among member states, emphasizing the necessity for political solutions to military conflicts and avoiding escalation.
Council of Arab Social Affairs Ministers
- Encouraging artistic and cultural pursuits within Arab youth, including those that seek to preserve Arab cultural histories and identities.
- Exploring the role of media outlets in public opinion, including state-sponsored news outlets and social media, and addressing the issue of digital rights.
- Discussing means by which the League can prevent the onset of and provide aid to victims of human rights violations in areas of conflict.
- Analyzing the social and health concerns that arise with climate change and water/food scarcities.
Council of Arab Environmental Affairs Ministers
- Reevaluating electronic waste management in the region and proposing methods to properly dispose of electronic waste and reduce its overall production.
- Developing strategies to protect environmental infrastructure, particularly water and energy, from being utilized as tactical weapons in environmental warfare.
- Examining avenues for regional water security within the League over the usage of – and disputes over – shared water resources.
- Exploring ways to increase public participation in environmental initiatives.
Council of Arab Economic Affairs Ministers
- Exploring means by which the League can promote non-oil private sectors and encourage the economic diversification of member states.
- Assessing and formulating domestic and foreign investments to close the workforce participation gap and mitigate the exclusion and inequality in Arab economies.
- Exploring efforts to encourage the development and financing of the information technology sector.
- Discussing efforts to promote cooperation among member states in order to strengthen human capital and improve the labor market.
Summit of Arab Heads of State
- Creating methods for the redevelopment of areas within member states damaged by conflict.
- Developing strategies for cooperation between refugees and internally displaced persons with host countries.
- Identifying resources needed and proposing methods to ensure its safe and effective delivery to current and post-conflict areas.
- Identifying the paths to radicalization and establishing ways in which the League can counteract extremist recruitment.
Special Council on Women and Children
- Discussing the intersection between the impacts of the rising extremist movements and women’s security in the region.
- Examining the impact of displacement and conflict in preventing children from accessing a stable education and evaluating ways in which the League can reduce the number of children currently out of school.
- Assessing the state of women and children in current and post-conflict areas and formulating strategies on how the League can better address safety concerns.
- Revisiting and evaluating the League’s commitment to the 2004 Arab Charter on Human Rights, giving special emphasis on Article 33 and its effectiveness, and implementing strategies to strengthen the framework provided.
2018 SUMMER INTERN MAL AGENDA
Joint Defense Council
- Reassessing inter-Arab defense and security relationships as outlined in the Joint Defense and Economic Cooperation Treaty, particularly as it relates to regional instability and external interference.
- Outlining goals for Arab military modernization with particular consideration for the requirements of modern and asymmetric warfare.
- Examining League emergency preparedness and natural disaster response protocols, with a focus on defense sector contributions and national security implications.
Council on Palestinian Affairs
1. Devising Contingency Plans and Increasing Resiliency to Protect Palestinian Civilians and Infrastructure from Military Actions and Offensives.
2. Facilitating Cooperation between Fatah and Hamas as a Means of Delivering Humanitarian Aid and Assistance to the Gaza Strip
3. Securing Increased Water Access and Sanitation for Palestinians via League Channels and Negotiation with International Bodies.
Council on Social Affairs
- Examining methods to address rising public health concerns in the Arab world, with a focus on enhancing mental health care and awareness, curbing infectious diseases such as HIV, and improving chronic disease care
- Addressing the rising cost of food in the Arab world, with an emphasis on reducing waste in the import, transportation, and production of food, as well as inefficiencies in government subsidies.
- Proposing reforms to Arab higher education systems, including investment incentives, vocational training, and curricular developments to promote international recognition and employment prospects.