2020-2021 PROVISIONAL MODEL ARAB LEAGUE AGENDA
PLEASE NOTE: Not all Models will have all Councils. Please look at your specific Conference Page or contact the Local Coordinator or the National Council Student Programs Coordinator for your model to find out which Councils will be represented.
Joint Defense Council
1. Discussing common postures relating to doctrines of foreign military interventions in the region and how to manage such instances through intra-League collaboration.
2. Identifying the primary gaps in Member States that allow state and non-state militias to recruit child soldiers.
3. Exploring avenues to promote military diplomacy between Member States, including joint training exercises, collaboration on research and development, and other forms of capacity-building towards readiness and unity.
4. Promoting cooperation among Member States in expanding military-level resilience to hybrid warfare threats and tactics.
Council on Palestinian Affairs
1. Establishing means to support the renovation of damaged and dilapidated infrastructure within Palestine, keeping in mind the strict blockade.
2. Addressing the increased financial burden encroaching as a result of the enactment of the United States ‘Taylor Force Law’, and Israel’s similar ‘clearance revenue’ deduction.
3. Developing means of encouraging cooperation between disparate Palestinian factions.
4. Working to develop the healthcare infrastructure within Gaza and the West Bank in order to more adequately respond to emergencies.
Council on Political Affairs
1. Evaluating the impact of the political isolation towards religious minorities throughout the League and its impact towards extremist group’s recruitment efforts.
2. Evaluating the impacts of Western nation’s “gunboat diplomacy” within the Arab League and evaluating the viability and necessity of such measures.
3. Assessing the state of press freedom and proposing changes to strengthen freedom of the press within the Arab League.
4. Analyzing the challenges and benefits of refugee resettlement within host countries.
Council of Arab Social Affairs Ministers
1. Formulating solutions to improve epidemic resilience throughout the Arab League, in addition to strengthening health systems and infrastructure in states.
2. Evaluating strategies to combat food insecurity within MENA countries, especially in areas with limited natural resources.
3. Exploring measures to strengthen film and media industries within Arab countries, in addition to promoting and preserving Arab culture and identity.
4. Discussing the issue surrounding child labor within the MENA region, and resolving issues that lead children having to enter the workforce at a young age.
5. Discussing the impacts of gender based violence against women in the MENA region and strengthening legislation to improve prevention and litigation, with special attention to female genital mutilation.
Council of Arab Environmental Affairs Ministers
1. Analyzing the possibility of pandemics or disease outbreaks originating from the region and proposing methods to prevent outbreaks of new or current diseases among livestock, plants, and humans in the region
2. Evaluating existing water rights and improving agreements between states concerning fair and equal access to rivers and below ground water resources.
3. Promoting cooperation between Member States and the scientific community in order ameliorate food security across the region, with special attention towards the proliferation of genetically modified crops and their associated benefits and ethical disputes.
4. Devising ways to increase nuclear power in the region, while addressing responsible methods for nuclear waste disposal, and developing plans to counter potential meltdowns or weaponization.
Council of Arab Economic Affairs Ministers
1. Evaluating the importance of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the League and promoting SMEs within member states to foster economic growth.
2. Addressing the impact of refugee populations, migrant workers, and displaced peoples on member states’ economies and creating economic opportunities for these groups.
3. Addressing corruption within the League and creating economic solutions to prevent and combat corruption within Member States and its impact on Arab economies.
4. Analyzing the economic risks and opportunities associated with Member State integration into China’s Belt and Road Initiative, or One Belt, One Road, with special attention to ramifications for regional development and trade relations.
Summit of Arab Heads of State
1. Exploring the creation of policies and frameworks to address security threats related to increased interest in nuclear power and weapons in the region.
2. Discussing the status of Syria’s membership to the Arab League and determining necessary steps to aid the Syrian crisis.
3. Determining when and at what level Arab League interference is permissible when highly unlawful or unhumanitarian action occurs in member states, with respect to the Arab Charter on Human Rights and the Charter of the League of Arab States.
4. Developing concerted efforts to address poor economic and social conditions driving widespread resurgence of mass protests in the region.
Special Council on Technology and Cyber-security
1. Evaluating broadband access and information and communication infrastructure in order to improve technological access in the region.
2. Discussing the role of the digital economy and emerging technologies as a means of addressing youth education and unemployment gaps in the Arab world.
3. Developing League-wide frameworks for ensuring privacy and data security in the context of digital surveillance.
4. Analyzing the current state of cybersecurity regulations in the League and developing additional computer and data protection measures.
Arab Court of Justice