2019-2020 PROVISIONAL MODEL ARAB LEAGUE AGENDA
PLEASE NOTE: Not all Models will have all Councils. Please look at your specific Conference Page or contact the Local Coordinator or the National Council Representative of your model to find out which Councils will be represented.
Joint Defense Council
- Assessing the current state of areas of conflict and formulating plans to mitigate the risks of conflict escalation.
- Developing strategies for League-wide cyber security guidelines and protocols.
- Evaluating League-wide defense preparedness with regards to regional security issues such as, border control and weapons trafficking.
- Protecting member states’ maritime trade routes by combating the threat of destruction of ports, vessels, ships, or tankers related to commerce.
Council on Palestinian Affairs
- Establishing guidelines for ensuring free and fair elections within Palestine.
- Addressing the ongoing blockade against the Gaza Strip, with a focus on mitigating civilian suffering.
- Developing ways to reduce the mortality rate of non-communicable diseases in occupied territories.
- Examining mental and psychological health concerns among Palestinians in Gaza, West Bank and in refugee camps in order to develop methods of detection, prevention, and treatment.
- Examining and developing art, sports and music programs for youth development.
Council on Political Affairs
- Evaluating the threat of election interference throughout the League and developing strategies to uphold the sanctity of elections.
- Formulating diplomatic strategies of interaction between governments outside of the League in times of both peace and conflict to ensure stability both within the region and the international community.
- Developing a framework to address political turmoil within the League caused by blockades, with special consideration to the Gulf Crisis, and assess actions to prevent further escalation in the future.
- Exploring ways to increasing the political involvement of ethnic minorities across the Arab League.
Council of Arab Social Affairs Ministers
- Examining methods to protect and ensure the religious rights of refugees, with additional focus on individuals who belong to a religious minority.
- Formulating ways to increase access to mental health care resources, with a focus on treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder related cases of people from zones of conflict.
- Developing policies and reforms to protect migrant workers from potential abuse and human rights violations.
- Formulating methods to expand and improve early childhood education throughout the region.
Council of Arab Environmental Affairs Ministers
- Assessing methods and policies that can improve the market for renewable energy and other forms of sustainable infrastructure development within the Arab League.
- Discussing ways to combat desertification and deforestation as a result of climate change, agriculture, and resource extraction, particularly as a means of establishing sustainable practices heading into a more water scarce future.
- Developing a League-wide framework to reduce plastic production, distribution, consumption, and disposal throughout the Arab League from both domestic and international sources.
- Analyzing the level of air pollution in urban areas and establishing methods to mitigate the pollution and improve air quality.
Council of Arab Economic Affairs Ministers
- Developing economic opportunities and growth in current and post-conflict areas.
- Discussing avenues for League-wide cooperation that would strengthen the region’s cultural tourism industry, with special attention to facilitating the viability of the sector in face of political unrest and conflict.
- Addressing issues of energy poverty within Member States and considering methods to expand energy access throughout the MENA region.
- Discussing the regulatory environment and developing League-wide investment strategies to address the region’s growing infrastructural needs, with special attention to key sectors such as transportation, public services, and environmental technology.
Summit of Arab Heads of State
- Identifying reasons and devising measures to counter extortion and corruption within the Arab League as well as a League-wide response to unlawful behavior by member states.
- Examining the prevalence of human trafficking in the region and what measures can be taken to reduce or abolish it in accordance with the Arab Charter on Human Rights.
- Exploring and establishing potential reaction mechanisms within the Arab League for the prevention of interstate conflicts and other non-violent disputes.
- Exploring concerted efforts to strengthen controls on the transfer of small arms and light weapons (SALW) — both illicit and state-sanctioned — into the region.
Special Council on Regional Conflict and Instability
- Creating frameworks to mediate disputes between League members with the goal of limiting inter-League conflict.
- Considering protections for refugees, migrants and displaced persons, with an emphasis on improving aid to those in conflict affected regions.
- Discussing foreign influence in ongoing conflicts in order to prevent destabilization from outside actors.
- Creating League-wide measures to prevent human rights violations during times of conflict
2018 SUMMER INTERN MAL AGENDA
Joint Defense Council
- Reassessing inter-Arab defense and security relationships as outlined in the Joint Defense and Economic Cooperation Treaty, particularly as it relates to regional instability and external interference.
- Outlining goals for Arab military modernization with particular consideration for the requirements of modern and asymmetric warfare.
- Examining League emergency preparedness and natural disaster response protocols, with a focus on defense sector contributions and national security implications.
Council on Palestinian Affairs
1. Devising Contingency Plans and Increasing Resiliency to Protect Palestinian Civilians and Infrastructure from Military Actions and Offensives.
2. Facilitating Cooperation between Fatah and Hamas as a Means of Delivering Humanitarian Aid and Assistance to the Gaza Strip
3. Securing Increased Water Access and Sanitation for Palestinians via League Channels and Negotiation with International Bodies.
Council on Social Affairs
- Examining methods to address rising public health concerns in the Arab world, with a focus on enhancing mental health care and awareness, curbing infectious diseases such as HIV, and improving chronic disease care
- Addressing the rising cost of food in the Arab world, with an emphasis on reducing waste in the import, transportation, and production of food, as well as inefficiencies in government subsidies.
- Proposing reforms to Arab higher education systems, including investment incentives, vocational training, and curricular developments to promote international recognition and employment prospects.