National Council Summer Internship Program
The National Council on U.S.-Arab Relations' Washington, DC Summer Internship Program offers undergraduate and graduate students a ten-week professional, academic, and career opportunity internship in the Nation's Capital. The program features an energizing and demanding mix of professional involvement, intellectual challenge, career exploration, and cultural encounter designed to provide interns with a rich and varied experience during their time in Washington.
- Professional workplace experience: Interns are placed with one of over a dozen Near East and Arab world related organizations in Washington, D.C., where they are expected to work 35-40 hours/week under the direct supervision of their host organizations.
- Academic seminars: Interns take part in twice weekly seminar sessions designed to provide them with greater depth of knowledge about the Arab world, to underscore the cultural, economic, and political diversity of Arab states, and to explore the intricacies of Arab-U.S. relations.
- Site visits: Interns are offered a behind-the-scenes look at many of the central institutions of federal government, national security policymaking, international diplomacy, and international business.
Sponsorship: The program is administered by National Council professionals and staff, together with more than two dozen of America's foremost scholars and leading foreign affairs practitioners. The programs, activities, and functions represented by the organizations and corporations that provide the professional work experience component of the program are varied. Included among placements in recent years have been educational development and exchange organizations, bimonthly and quarterly publications, humanitarian relief groups, broadcasting networks, area studies centers, international transportation companies, foreign trade associations, peace and justice advocacy groups, and a variety of non-governmental organizations.
Program Dates: June 2 - August 8, 2014
Application Deadline: Priority deadline: February 10, 2014. Final deadline: February 28, 2014.
Cost: Internships are unpaid. Internship program participants, upon successful fulfillment of the program’s academic and internship requirements, receive a $1,000 fellowship stipend.
- Pictures from the 2014 Summer Internship Model Arab League
- 2014 Summer Internship Program Brochure (.pdf)
- 2013 Summer Internship Program Recap
- Pictures from the 2013 Summer Internship Program
- "Interns With Aspirations," Georgetown University Center for Contemporary Arab Studies, August 5, 2013
- 2011 Summer Internship Program Recap from Council Chronicle (.pdf)
- Pictures from the 2011 Summer Internship Program
- "On Becoming a Marshall Scholar," NextGen Journal, December 23, 2011 (about 2011 Intern Program Participant Zach Smith)
- 2010 Summer Internship Program Recap from Council Chronicle (.pdf)
- Pictures from the 2010 Summer Internship Program
- 2009 Summer Internship Program Recap from Council Chronicle (.pdf)
- 2009 Summer Internship Program Schedule (.pdf)
Local Universities Offering Summer Housing: